View Single Post
Old 12-09-2001, 07:06 PM   #104
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by mmesker
Agreed. I think someone else mentioned this earlier, but they really didn't start making anything worthwhile until "Construction Time Again", and nothing amazing until "Black Celebration".
I wouldn't necessarily say that. CTA is a great album, as is "Some Great Reward." DM have always been ahead of their time. The only DM albums that I don't think are absolutely great are "Speak & Spell," "A Broken Frame," and "Ultra." But, there are good excuses for those 3--"S&S" was mostly Vince, plus it was their first album. "A Broken Frame" was thrown together quickly after Vince's departure, and was Martin Gore's first real attempt at songwriting. And part of "Ultra" was recorded while Dave Gahan was still a smack daddy.

A lot of folks have called "Exciter" a follow-up of sorts to "Black Celebration." Both are fantastic albums, although it took me a while to warm up to "Exciter." In fact, the 3rd single from "Exciter," "Freelove," finally comes out here in the States on Tuesday (it's been out in the UK for a month now). And $10 says I'm going to go over to Tower Records on Roosevelt Blvd. in NE Philadelphia on Tuesday, and the stupid clerk is going to go, "Who?" "What?" "Ummm...I don't know." At least when I go to the one on South Street, the clerks know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Quote:
I'll hafta track down that "Tainted Love" cover. Sounds interesting. Have you heard his cover of Bowie's "Golden Years"?
No...I didn't know he had even covered a Bowie song. Interesting...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote