View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #5287
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
That Brum link was sorely needed when I left nearly 10 years ago. The motorway (?M42 -so happy to have forgotten the number) was a car park, and the trains ran so infrequently that they often couldn't take all the passengers waiting.

I'm sure I'd be a total NIMBY, but if London can't expand further, then the transport system needs to, and a lot of the commmuters were people with dual bases -London and Birmingham. If it were the US, they'd just fly.
The M40 runs from London to Brum and the M42 connects it with the M6 to the east and the M5 to the west.

The trouble is that traffic, like work, expands according to the capacity available to meet it. There has to be a time when it is no longer reasonable, or even feasible, to build yet another massive road or rail project.
If the nation was the size of France it might be a more practical proposition. Of course in many parts of the USA the country could quite happily swallow up a vast civil engineering project without inconvenience or detrimental effect on a massive scale.
I'm not suggesting that HS2 should be dumped on somebody else, just questioning the need for it at all.

All the best,

Carruthers

Last edited by Carruthers; 04-02-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote