View Single Post
Old 11-24-2003, 09:15 AM   #163
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by HaywardNelson
ETA: calling someone a c**t and retorting that they have the psychological capacity of a roid are hardly, *hardly* on the same level.
With all due respect, this really isn't for you to decide. It's all in who gets called what. So maybe to you, getting called a "cunt' is extremely offensive. To 123tess, someone being called "retard" is offensive. To sycamore, whom I call "retard" and "ugly" all the time, he knows I'm kidding and it doesn't bother him (or at least, I figure if it did, he would tell me, because I've been doing it for about two years now and he's never said anything).

Now, you're right, saying that I have the psychological capacity of a "roid" isn't offensive to me - but only because I don't let myself be bothered by what's thought of me by <b>people I don't even know</b>. If you and I were dating, Hayward (and I think I see a future here), yeah, I might get a bit upset. But right now, honestly, it doesn't bother me at all.

If Tony was like "Dude, you're a fucking dickhole", I'd probably be like "Well shit, I'm fucking up. I should tone it down." That's 'cause I know him, and I respect his opinion. Barely a week ago I was sitting in his house getting licked by his dogs. He breaks my guitar strings. We're friends, and his opinion matters. But I don't get worked up over what others think of me if I don't even know them.

The Cellar is, generally speaking, a pretty friendly place. It's a community. You will undoubtedly rub a few people the wrong way. That's normal and to be expected. (I think the only person who never rubbed anyone the wrong way was April. Er, wait...) But if you're actually interested in being a part of the community, you need to be understanding. You didn't do your homework on the cybercrimes thing. Okay. It happens. But when someone comes in so serious as you, it's <b>insulting</b> when things so obviously false are passed off as authentic. I can't speak for Bruce, but I would venture a guess that that's why he said what he said.

As for me, I just like watching people go at it. There, I said it. It's amusing. That's why I dumped fuel on the fire. I don't actually think you're a cunt or a retard. You responded to those words, and so I used them. I actually defended April in a number of other threads. I'm not sure how I feel about the posting of the name of the high school. You and I are probably basically on the same page. And, funnily enough, if we got to know each other, we'd probably like each other. (I see a future here!)

But, here's the real thing, my one piece of advice that I really truly do mean sincerely: <b>chill out</b>. You come off sounding like you're wound tighter than a... really... tightly wound... thing. You're not going to win friends calling them Nazis (if indirectly).

So, like Tony said, it's really up to you. Everyone goes through a hazing. Consider this yours. The question you need to answer is "Do I want to be a part of a relatively intelligent, mostly caring, sometimes bitterly sarcastic online community?" If you do, awesome! We're glad to have you. If not, that's okay too. It's an acquired taste. It's not for everyone (I still don't drink coffee). But ultimately, in the end, it's your choice to make.

(Did I miss anything?)