View Single Post
Old 11-24-2003, 11:29 AM   #6
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
It's unlikely to be your insulation; a working radiant heat system can make the place HOT when it's really cold, insulation or no insulation. The pipes could be clogged (was the system filled with hard water?) or one or more of the other valves could have failed, or the thermostats could have failed. Or the pump could have failed.

As to how to resolve it... well, if the pipes are clogged, you've got to unclog them or replace them. Which usually requires access to them. Which you probably don't have. Which is one problem with radiant heat.
The reason I suspect clogged pipes is because the water is VERY hard here, and the previous owner got too lazy to fill the water softener with salt. When I bought the place I had to replace the dishwasher because it was almost a solid brick of calcium inside.

Fuck. Cleaning the pipes is probably a huge, involved, expensive process, but it's also unavoidable... we can't go all winter like this. It's a closed system, so introducing some kind of agent to break down the deposits would be difficult or impossible. If dismantling is necessary, I might as well replace all of the horizontal runs.

Shit. Maybe I ought to see if insurance would cover this, I just plain can't afford it otherwise.