View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #2603
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My dentist's office is dead to me.

I went in for my 6-month cleaning, and they informed me that the rules have changed, and my calm and quiet daughter in her stroller can no longer come in the back with me while I have my appointment. They explain that this is because "OSHA has really tightened down" on rules about extra people being around when x-rays are being given. I ask if she can wait out in the hallway for the 10 seconds they are x-raying me. They say no. I ask if I can just have a cleaning, since I've never in my life had a cavity and I really don't need my teeth x-rayed, you know? They say no--it is office policy that every patient must receive a full set of x-rays every 6 months.

I did not, in fact, ask them why they saw no blatant contradiction in the fact that everyone must avoid unnecessary x-ray exposure at all costs, but it's totally cool to give me an unnecessary x-ray directly on my face every 6 months. Instead, I just politely let them make me a new appointment, at the time when I would be most likely to be able to find someone to watch my daughter. But they fundamentally didn't understand that "most likely" still doesn't mean anywhere near possible... so I'll just call and cancel the appointment tomorrow when someone different is working at the front desk.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote