Thread: Weird News
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #830
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh and just to step away from statistical arguments and whether or not one drug is more dangerous than another: the purpose of drugs legislation is supposedly to prevent drug use. It doesn't. it just makes drug use less safe and less controlled. Much as prohibition of alcohol didn;t stop people drinking, it just increased the likelihood people would be drinking dangerous moonshine and gave the Mob a new commodity to play with.

Also, from a purely ethical standpoint: what i do in the comfort of my own home is my business. What i put into my body is my business. Give me the warnings. But then let me make my choice. And the 'cost' argument when it comes to healthcare is totally off the wall when you look at the cost of alcohol and tobacco related illness. They outstrip anything that is spent, or would be spent on helping people with health problems related to other drugs. By far the biggest cost to society associated with drugs, is the cost of policing, trying, and imprisoning addicts and dealers.

[eta] it always amazes me that the country that purports to want small government that keeps out of your personal life, also wants that government to regulate what you put into your mouths and veins. It doesn't get more personal than that. It is not the state's job to decide what I eat, smoke or inject.

And now i am starting to feel really wound up. Nothing personal jinx, but this is one of those subjects that has me climbing the walls and throwing things about in anger :P So... I am off to bed before I burst a blood vessel.

Last edited by DanaC; 04-19-2010 at 08:19 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote