Thread: It occurs to me
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2001, 08:21 AM   #27
Dafydd Wynne-Evans
Cakeman D

I guess what I'm saying is that the argument that we're so far removed from our food is silly.

I've heard that argument a few times... and I always thought it referred more to the process of getting food (for example, meat) from live animal to dining room table.

I grew up on a farm; we raised, butchered, and ate many types of animals -- cows, pigs, chickens, rabbits -- and I firmly believe that if most people went through the entire process (or saw it happen anyway), some of them would have second thoughts about eating meat.

Like somebody said earlier, if you can't kill it and butcher it, maybe you should think twice about eating it.

Another thought that gives me pause is the very fact that a lot of our meat supply is raised on "factory" farms, where conditions for the animals really sucks as compared to the traditional image of a farm that most of us have. I understand some of the problems that factory farms are faced with; health issues with the animals, the very size of the animal population on the farm, crowding, etc... but that doesn't make it easier for me to face the fact that I'm one of the causes of the problem.

I am a meat eater; in fact, I'm on a pretty-much protein-only diet. I do love steak and chicken... but I'll probably never eat rabbit again. Something to do, I guess, with the "beauty" of a rabbit as compared to a cow (I know that's not right, but psychologically speaking it's true).

Action is transitory,—a step, a blow;
The motion of a muscle, this way or that
-- William Wordsworth
Dafydd Wynne-Evans is offline   Reply With Quote