View Single Post
Old 11-25-2003, 04:34 PM   #14
Archer
off target

Ok, I work in HVAC, small business. I'm not a tech!

First is bleeding the air, you can try to do it, and if you are resonably mechinically inclined, should be able to do it, though you may burn yourself in the process (just hot water, nothing to really worry about). There should be multiple bleader valves in the system. They should be near the radiators/fin tube, and may be behind the cowel someplace if it's fin tube.

Second, if you are still having trobles, get a professional. Keep in mind that just because someone "works" on a radiant heating system, does not mean they know what they are doing. See if you can find a company that specializes in boilers, even if it costs more.

Third, whatever that magnet nonsense is, don't even entertain the idea. I've seen boilers that have run for decades, with nothing but routine maintience (if that).

Fourth: Was the system running ok before the tech came out? I'm assuming that you may not know since you bought the house at the end of the last heating season.

Also a question . . . what kind of pipes are they? I was assuming blackpipe with old style radiators (cast iron or the like) It sounds from what you said that they are fin tube, and if that is the case, then it could be copper line. Is it? If it is copper, then you should not be getting popping and cracking.

If you're still having problems, I'll talk to my service manager tomorrow (11/26).
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote