Thread: New Uber Box
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2001, 01:09 PM   #15
dave

Well, I've done it. I have stupidly gotten frustrated with waiting so long and bought most of the components for the system. I think mostly it was waiting for the new wave of motherboards that got to me - I have all this money and it's just sitting there. I like having money, but I hate waiting when I know what I want to buy. So, I figured, I might as well quit procrastinating with this and go ahead and get most of the stuff. Today I ordered...

<ul>
<li><b>Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite</b> - $18 and worth every penny. My old one is getting worn out, and Newegg.com had it at a decent price.
<li><b>Rounded IDE cables</b> - x2, one for the DVD drive and one for the IDE hard drive.
<li><b>Rounded Floppy cable</b> - for, uh, the floppy.
<li><b>IBM 60GXP 60 GB hard drive</b> - the price is down to $117 from Newegg, and I had originally priced it at $135, so this will help make up for the other shit which hasn't fallen in price.
<li><b>Tyan Tiger s2460 Motherboard</b> - I couldn't wait any longer. I had to get it and put it in my system.
<li><b>Visiontek Xtasy 6964 GeForce 3 Ti 500</b> - I really debated here. Should I just get a GeForce 3? Fuck it. $60 difference isn't that much.
</ul>

The total came to a whopping $707.41, including shipping. That's a lot of money. The video card is nearly half of that - super!

I said I would have this goddamn system done by the end of December, and I'm definitely on track for that.

Now, I have made some concessions. I don't think I'm going to do SCSI right away. I am not comfortable with the 19160's support in Linux, and I haven't even gotten the drive repaired yet. So this is a coming addition. I'll add the SCSI probably by June or so - or maybe I won't. I'm not sure right now. Paying $180 for a SCSI card just irked me, for some reason. I'm going to wait a bit on that.

So, the only thing I need to get now are the cables for the KVM and the processors. The KVM should be here today (this place took forever to ship the damn thing), so I'll probably order cables later. I'm still going to wait a few days on the processors, and then I'll buy them.

I need to go back and look at my total investment in the box so far. It's certainly a pretty penny, and I'll post it here when it's finished. I just don't feel like going back and looking at all the charges right now. But I'll let you know