Thread: Gay Marriage
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2003, 09:33 AM   #293
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by preacherswife2u
I am sorry if I gave the impression that I consider people, living a homosexual lifestyle, to be inferior. That could not be further from the truth. I believe that all people are fearfully and wonderfully made by God. I would also not want to support such a person.
I didn't mean to point that at you. I was trying to make an on-topic example, and made it too simplistic.
Quote:
I'm sorry, Happy Monkey (it feels strange to address you that way. I'm Jennifer, btw.), but that is just the nature of christianity. I do not oppose homosexuality just to be a contrary party-pooper. But rather, I stand against it because of what that sin will mean in the lives of the people who embrace it. I care far too much for all of mankind, just to let sin permeate and wreak havoc.
Feel free to call me Matthew.

xoxoxoBruce said it already, but I'll take a stab at it, too. That is not a good reason to oppose gay marriage on a governmental level. If you feel the need to save people's souls, the correct route is to prosteletize and attempt to convert people, and then provide religious arguments to members of your church. Religious arguments should not be used to determine public policy. Religious convictions can be a reason for a particular person to look for and make legal arguments, but there are no nonreligious reasons to oppose gay marriage. If your only argument is religious, then you shouldn't be making laws based on it. This is not a theocracy.
Quote:
Also, I find it hard to "not support" something without "opposing" it at the same time.
Really? I find it very easy. For example, I do not support massive handgun ownership, but I realize it is a right that people have, so I do not oppose it.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote