View Single Post
Old 12-14-2001, 01:09 AM   #105
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Depeche Mode--The Singles: 81>85 (the original 1985 British version): I've never quite understood why there are different versions of certain records, depending on what continent you reside. In the States, this album was released as essentially two albums--People Are People and Catching Up With Depeche Mode. Thankfully, DM decided to re-master the album, and it was released in its proper form here in the States 3 years ago. I happened to pick up an import copy of the original in a Blockbuster Music one night--rather cheap too (less than $20). Some of the early singles are quirky, but many of them will easily jog the memory of a 80s music fanatic.

Although DM are from the suburbs of London, their main fan base has been rooted here in the States since the mid-80s. They have never been overly liked by the British press. As examples:

When referring to the single "Love, In Itself," a writer from the magazine Sounds said: "Another big hit, and nothing short of driving a rusty meathook through David Gahan's malformed cranium will prevent it." Ouch!

When referring to the single "Get the Balance Right," a writer from the magazine Time Out said: "I have often wondered why God bothered with Depeche Mode."

Incidentally, these quotes are in the liner notes of the CD.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote