View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #18
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianne View Post
I was referring to the range of frequencies that the digital signal is transmitted on, not the width of the channel. Should I get all technical?
Yes. Making statements without the always required reasons why and numbers means the statement is probably hearsay. And that was why I was shocked when so many knew Saddam had WMDs. They *knew* without first learning 'always required' technical reasons why and the numbers.

The old analog system had channels 2 through 82. With digital, all frequencies above channel 69 were removed. Later channels 53 through 69 were removed.

Remember a recent FCC auction for the 700 Mhz band to cell phones and for a national safety system band? Newspaper reporters mostly had so much contempt for facts as to not report where that spectrum was coming from. That was channels 53 through 69 being removed from commercial TV use.

Digital stations operate on the same bandwidth per channel. Number of TV channels (frequencies) have been reduced from 81 to 51 channels.

Always first learn the numbers. Always have the technicals.

There is no digital antenna. The antennas no longer have to coveer the 700 Mhz and 800 Hhz frequency bands. Most digital stations are broadcasting in the 500 and 600 Mhz band.

Some stations (ie Philadelphia's Channel 6) stupidly stayed on their original frequency - 83 Mhz. So an antenna designed for 500 and 600 Mhz (most all other stations) must also include another design for 83 Mhz. So many had problems getting Channel 6 when the transistion finished.

Last edited by tw; 09-24-2010 at 11:56 AM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote