View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

I guess more sad than angry, but still qualifies...

For those of you old enough to remember the live broadcasts of these Hearings, this is a good review.
CBS gives several links to interviews and broadcasts.

CBS News.com
Oct. 20, 2010

Anita Hill vs. Clarence Thomas: The Backstory
Virginia Thomas' Message to Justice's Accuser Rekindles Scandal that Erupted during 1991 Confirmation Hearing

Quote:
<snip> In the voicemail message, the contents of which were confirmed by CBS News, Virginia Thomas said, "I just wanted to reach across the airwaves and the years and ask you to consider something. I would love you to consider an apology sometime and some full explanation of why you did what you did with my husband. So give it some thought and certainly pray about this and come to understand why you did what you did. OK, have a good day."

In a statement Tuesday, Hill said she "certainly thought the call was inappropriate," and she contacted Brandeis security officials, who later informed the FBI, after hearing it. She said she had "no intention of apologizing because I testified truthfully about my experience and I stand by that testimony."

In her statement, Thomas said she meant no offense.
"I did place a call to Ms. Hill at her office extending an olive branch to her after all these years, in hopes that we could ultimately get passed what happened so long ago. That offer still stands, I would be very happy to meet and talk with her if she would be willing to do the same."

My wife and I feel that Anita Hill could have responded by suggesting to Mrs Thomas that she instead ask for an apology from her husband.

These pictures capture what I suspect is a reflection of the situation.
Anita Hill as a happy, successful academic
Clarence Thomas as a very angry man whose reputation will not surpass even GWB's
Attached Images

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote