View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #5944
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
*nods*

Not sure quite what's going to happen on that score.

I know when Uncle Dave died there was talk of taking legal action, but Auntie Joan and the kids didn't want to get imbroiled in something that could potentially drag on and be very upsetting.

Not helped by the fact that the last time we took issue with the NHS it was a nightmare. Mum was in her final year of Nurse training and was told by a ward sister to lift a heavily disabled patient alone: totally did her back in, destroyed her career (six months in traction and permanent damage) and left her unable to work full-time for many years. Even with her union funding legal assistance, it took 13 years to get an apology and compensation. (22k for a destroyed career and 13 years of fighting) Every other year she'd have to have another medical exam, because the previous results had gone missing. The staff involved, including the ward sster were all transferred elsewhere and became difficult to locate. etc etc. Obstruction, nastiness and all round dishonesty.

So...I don't know what's going to happen this time. The problem is with stuff like this, and the reason so few people actually take action, is that it's always during a time when families are dealing with deeply emotional and traumatic events. The time when they're least able/willing to take on a difficult and distressing legal journey.

You mean your country has a problem with too LITTLE people willing to sue for malpractice? From what the right-wingers tell me, ours has way to many sue-happy lawyers.
(Sorry for the political BS, I'll stop now. Just recently my mom has been all whiny about lawyers/suing being evil and I'm losing it a little.

OK, now I'm done.)

I am really sorry that this has happened to y'all Dana.