View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #54
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I made the mistake of watching the climactic scene of The Stoning of Suriya M on Youtube. Deeply upsetting. A profoundly disturbing film. I went to bed that night boiling with impotent rage.

A very worthwhile movie though. I intend to see it in full at some point. The acting is stunning. It's brilliantly directed. I see why Iran doesn't want it showing over there. It exposes the reality of a form of punishment that is almost uniquely applied to women and is an absolute instrument of gender control and gender terror.

The way the village as a whole is involved. The way even her sons are encouraged to hurl a stone. The hatred and anger in the faces of many of the men and even a few women, at this 'whore' who had dared to transgress their codes. Their jubiliation at what was clearly seen as an expression of God's greatness; his law, his justice and his power. The utter lack of empathy amongst those throwing the stones for bloody and weeping woman buried up to her waist in the ground: her body rocking and reeling back with the impact of each stone.

Anyway. Sorry. Bit of a rant. Your selection of people who can suck it got me thinking.

That hatred of gender transgressing women is clearly founded on a deep-seated fear of the female; fear and suspicion. So I say all those men who look at a woman and see an Other not worth their regard can suck it. And so can the fathers and mothers who raised them.
Ditto. Women, especially mothers should be held in higher esteem than a bunch of sweaty self righteous men. They are there to be cherished and honored, and admired for their innate beauty.