View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
sandypossum
tri-continental dag hag

In 1999 we spent a few weeks driving through Sweden and Norway. The roads in parts of Norway are very steep, and our Citroen CX found it a bit challenging at times. One day we passed a 50cc step through scooter with Danish number plates, and the rider looked like Santa Claus in civvies. There was camping gear strapped to the back of it, as well as a couple of 2L PET bottles with petrol. The next day we met him at a roadside stop (we were taking lots of side trips off the main road) and I just had to talk to him. He said he did this every year, always on a scooter. He told us how in his wild youth he had ridden from Denmark to India and back (TWICE!) and regretted wasting the trips by spending the whole time in India just smoking lots of dope rather than travelling around there. He said he has went to the Arctic Circle once, "but of course I didn't do that alone, that would be too hard, so I went with my brother..." (ah, we thought, so you could carry more warm gear on the back of two bikes) "...and we took it in turns driving".