Thread: Weird News
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #1241
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Man avoids jail in hit-and-run because of his job

I don't see how the prosecutor can justify this.

Quote:
EAGLE COUNTY, Colo. -- Prosecutors have dropped felony charges against a man accused in a hit-and-run because prosecutors don't want the man to lose his job as a financial manager.

Martin Joel Erzinger, 52, is accused of hitting cyclist Dr. Steven Milo in July then speeding away. Milo was seriously injured.

When Avon police found Erzinger a few miles away, he was putting a broken side mirror and a bumper in his trunk, according to court records obtained by the Summit Daily News. Erzinger told police he was unaware he had hit Milo.

Erzinger works at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in Denver. He manages more than $1 billion in assets as a director in private wealth management and would have to disclose any felony charge within 30 days, according to North American Securities Dealers regulations.

"Mr. Erzinger struck me, fled and left me for dead on the highway," Milo said in a letter to District Attorney Mark Hurlbert. "Neither his financial prominence nor my financial situation should be factors in your prosecution of this case."

"Felony convictions have some pretty serious job implications for someone in Mr. Erzinger's profession, and that entered into (the decision)," Hurlbert told the newspaper. "When you're talking about restitution, you don't want to take away his ability to pay."

The rest is here.

That's just crazy.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote