View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Number 2 Pencil
Not too hard, not too soft

I must admit, I do have an urge to get on the soapbox, but at the same time, I know I can be wrong about what I believe, more than anything I am looking for more knowledge and experiences from others that I may understand myself better.

I used to frequent the Cellar before, and discuss philosophical topics (and argue about abortion far more than I care to remember). I remember the Cellar being a supporting bunch with many diverse points of view. In many ways, what I read here helped change me many years ago. The cellar definitely opened me to many different points of views (such as paganism). So I am here again now to talk about life the universe and everything once again.

To be honest I am in the closet about my changes with just about everyone, so I need an outlet to explore my new beliefs. My fiancee (a christian) and I have discussed my life changes and we have come to a point where we respect each other and do not try to change each others beliefs. I don't discuss religion with my parents or own relatives. My friends I just hang out with every so often and my new lack of faith has not been topic of conversation yet, though I do want to bring it up at some point. I think it would be difficult if my future in-laws knew I was not christian judging from comments they have made to me in the past. They live in another state so I don't see them much. I feel dishonest in a way by misrepresenting myself through inaction as being a christian with my in-laws, and I may one day have to tackle that fact with them.

Clodfobble, I think I have reached a point where I believe everyone is on their own journey, and everyone needs to discover for themselves where it takes them. That means I am not trying to convert or deconvert anyone from anything (though I may disagree or agree with some people more than others, as long as they are not hurting anyone else a person's beliefs are their own concern), but I do really want to know the experiences others have been through.