View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #6205
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
GET A SECOND OPINION!

Have you had tests to establish whether your major nodule is cold or hot?

your case sounds so much like beest's.....

.....and he had the dodgy nodule biopsied for cancer while he was on the table ...and it came back negative. 20% is pretty much the minimum chance they give.

regarding funding/urgency of surgery.... have you had biopsies? Is the nodule hot or cold? DO NOT avoid a second opinion because of cost issues. If medical money was ever well spent, it was on second and third opinions.
I had a biopsy last Friday. Its a follicular lesion. How old was Beest when he had his lobectomy?
This is why my doc is saying to do the full thing:
LOBECTOMY: This procedure is associated with a lower incidence of complications, but approximately 5% to 10% of patients will have a recurrence in the thyroid following lobectomy.[10] Patients younger than 45 years will have the longest follow-up period and the greatest opportunity for recurrence.

With my family history, my risk of recurrence and cancer are higher than if I did not have thyroid issues. My mom is just the tip of the iceberg on that, I have an aunt, great aunts, ect that have/had thyroid issues. Sure, another doc might say I only need a lobectomy (I'm sure I could find one), but they could be wrong also and I'd end up having to have a 2nd surgery as well. This is not the only nodule on my thyroid, just the largest right now. I have them on both lobes.
Its a really hard decision to even bother getting a 2nd opinion. I simply can't afford it. I can't even really afford the 1st opinion or the surgery. The fact that this is gonna cause me to have to put off transferring even longer, is already tearing me up. I just want to get past this and get on with my life ASAP.