View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #105
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
No, I didn't, and PEMDAS backs me up. Claim all the victory you like, you're still wrong.
PEMDAS
Quote:
A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation "PEMDAS", which is turned into the phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". It stands for "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction". This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank). When you have a bunch of operations of the same rank, you just operate from left to right. For instance, 15 ÷ 3 × 4 is not 15 ÷ 12, but is rather 5 × 4, because, going from left to right, you get to the division first. If you're not sure of this, test it in your calculator, which has been programmed with the Order of Operations hierarchy. For instance, typesetting this into a graphing calculator, you will get:
  • 15/3*4=20
Using the above hierarchy, we see that, in the "4 + 2×3" question at the beginning of this article, Choice 2 was the correct answer, because we have to do the multiplication before the addition.
(Note: Speakers of British English often instead use "BODMAS", which stands for "Brackets, Orders, Division and Multiplication, and Addition and Subtraction". Since "brackets" are the same as parentheses and "orders" are the same as exponents, the two acronyms mean the same thing.)
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote