Thread: Atheists Unite
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #112
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
The more I applied logic, the more I came to wonder if God wasn't an alien being. Stupid yeah.
Not stupid. Absolutely plausible. Or said this way: Things we interpret as actions by god may have been actions by an alien (or time traveller).

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
If someone starts quoting Bible verses, they're selling something, most often their religion... available on an easy payment plan, publications extra. If they are quoting Old Testament verses, they're usually trying to justify some abhorrent social behavior(see racist-sexist-homophobic above), win people over to a political candidate, or to reinforce a position that has no logical or reasonable defense. It's amazing how a sentence or two, can be "interpreted" to cover things which could not even have been imagined, by the people that wrote them.
I really tried to be a believer, so I actually read the bible. What I learned turned me off god and religion. Now, I can refute the people you describe using their own, and only, source of justification. But I don't charge or ask for donations.