View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Thanks, it was delicious.

Hush puppies are made from finely ground cornmeal and some savory spices. Spices, I don't know, the spicy kind? Actually, they're not spicy they're just tasty. I bought a pre made dry mix, these weren't from scratch. I added an egg and four tablespoons of water to make a very thick paste. I formed them into rough spheres about the size of golf balls. I flattened these slightly so I could have a definite top and bottom as I fried them in about half an inch of oil, not immersed as in a deep fryer. This let me more easily control the evenness of the cooking. Anyhow, they're fried up for a couple minutes and you can see them in the upper left corner of the first picture. They came out hot of course with a steaming interior. They are about two or three bites each. We served them with honey on the table and tartar sauce, but you could use butter or hot sauce or whatever you like. The taste (indeed the ingredients, especially the corn meal) is very similar to the fish fry coating. I made about ten of them and we had three left over for snacking later.