View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #337
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
The point is that we have already lost sight of 9/11, since that was the last time we were actually unified about anything.
Ideally, I do seriously agree with you. But for unification to occur, something really bad usually has to happen. There is a reason we have an evolutionary response to unify in threatening situations and that unification isn't going to remain after the threat is gone though. I would prefer our country not be constantly threatened by some outside source and sacrifice the sense of unification.

I don't see terrorist threats as something that should unify the country anyways. I'm not downplaying the threat in general, I do realize the seriousness of it, but I see unification over a terrorist threat as something that can only backfire. Terrorist threats should be dealt with by CT measures, which seem to be Black Ops, drones (maybe), etc, not armies and definitely not by the general population. Once the general population and congress gets into it, CT seems to get much less effective.