View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #7376
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I think you should consider the jars as part of the present. Could you not transfer to cheaper jars just before you give them? A present "with strings" loses some of its sparkle. In this case, if you don't use it straight away there's the guilt factor that you might think they don't like it, and they have to remember to wash it and return it, it'll probably sit around on a counter collecting dust and annoying them as they wait for the next time they see you.... It's king of on a par with giving a gift that requires a subscription on the part of the recipient, or one that needs batteries without providing batteries. Or taking a meal to someone who's sick/bereaved in several dishes that must be handwashed with care. Unenvironmentally friendly as it may be, giving edible gifts in "disposable" containers is a better idea imo.

If you do continue with the expensive jars and go with the notes, I would word it in a way that stresses the environmental factor: "If you do not plan to re-use me, please return me to Aliantha and help preserve our earth's resources" Twee tough that may sound, it makes it seem more like it's the recipient's choice rather than obligation to return the jar which, imo, makes it more likely that you'll get them back -"Aliantha will appreciate it if I give her this jar" rather than "Oh bollocks, I have to remember to wash the jar and give it back" or "Cheeky cow wanting half of the present back"......

But maybe it's a cultural thing.
It's close family and friends that I give this sort of stuff to. Often, the cost of the jar is higher than the actual cost of the ingredients. It's mainly my brother and his wife that don't return them, and I give them a lot of stuff because they're into the whole food thing and no preservative food etc.

If they were just used jam jars it'd be different, but since we rarely buy jam etc, I usually have to buy jars, and if I have to buy them every time, I might as well just buy jam cause it'd be cheaper.

Anyway, I don't think it's too much to ask for people to return the jars. Especially if they want them refilled next time round.

eta: and I think that's really the issue. If the preserves were a one off it wouldn't matter, but when I might end up giving them 20 jars throughout the year, it gets expensive to replace them.