View Single Post
Old 02-10-2004, 12:22 AM   #33
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

I'm with TW on this one. It's easy to indulge in a "few white lies," but when are the lies no longer white? Tell someone their cooking is good when it blows and they might serve the same foul dish to their mother-in-law or someone else who might be looking for a chance to be insulting. Plus they might make again for you some time ...
Quote:
From Brig:
So your saying if your wife said "Man I'm starting to look old," you would say "yes you are"?
      Actually, I'd be more likely to say, "Hey, at least we look old together." I make such two edged comments frequently and usually get a slap (typically on the shoulder) and a smile. Point is, you don't have to lie to be polite. You don't have to lie make someone feel good.
      In the example of the ugly kid, I had to deal with that last year. In spades. I mean this kid just wasn't cute at all. Yet her parent thought she was the most beautiful child ever. I didn't agree, but I also didn't see a need to go "What are you stoned? You got one butt-ugly kid there." No point. Yet never once did I agree either. When pressed I would make noncommittal warning responses like, "No one has ever seen a more beautiful child than their own." Sounds enough like a quote I never got pressed further, and enough like I might not agree that the subject was dropped.
      No, you don't have to lie. If you have to lie to protect someone's feelings then that person must have some serious issues. Or maybe you do. Don't know, never found myself in such a situation.