View Single Post
Old 02-10-2004, 09:31 PM   #27
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by Sun_Sparkz
You dont eat eggs (or any of the 100000 products made from eggs)? you dont eat chicken? have you ever slept on a feather quilt? have you ever sat on the farmhouse verandah and been relaxed by the soothing pecking of the chickens scratchin round on the lawn?
Weelll, that's not what I mean. All those things are beneficial to me, but they come about against the will of the chicken (at least, the first two do, and in the last case, the chicken is completely indifferent). That's not really what I meant by, "What they can do for me". What I mean is, a chicken is not going to stand up for me when I'm being beaten, or help me find food when I am starving.

The whole reason man created civilization and morality is so we can protect each other, group together, and help each other out. We're just more effective that way. Chickens are not smart enough to participate in our group, so there's no good reason to extend morality to them.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sun_Sparkz
Not everything has to be rational. I understand why you feel that way, i just dont understand how you _could_ feel that way.

I dont think all humans are equal, I think all life is equal, and i give as much respect to the quality of life to a fish, or a chicken than i do to a baby, or my grandfather.... which is a high amount of respect.
I prefer everything to be rational. Why would you give the same respect to a fish and a human baby? A fish can't do anything for you except die so you can eat it.

I do see what you're saying, though. I just find the discussion interesting.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote