Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Not your chest, I'm guessing...
Nope, just migrating south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
In our schools, both as a child and now, everyone above Kindgarten uses single-unit desks, where the chair is attached to the desk and can't be pushed in or out (or leaned back.)
Our classrooms are fluid. Children sit in different groups for different subjects, so a group table might accommodate 4 or 6 - 8 as an extreme.

Chairs can be set out theatre style for some activities, or for "Godly Plays" (we are a faith school) in a round. Tables can be set in a horseshoe or moved back against the walls completely, with chairs available or stacked on top.

The ONLY time I had a chair attached to a desk in school was in drama, where there was a little flip top desk on each chair. Very useful in a space created more for movement than taking notes. But I was 15 by then.

Just another interesting difference I guess.
But I wonder if it has to do with having more space. My schools have started as small affairs and grown. Space has always been at a premium with rooms allocated as and when they are free. Perhaps where land is more easily allocated, buildings are larger and rooms don't need to supply as many functions?

A guess.

Last edited by Sundae; 01-12-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Godly Plays, not Plyas
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote