View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
It's women who make other women feel inferior. It's women who believe that super skinny (and I'm not talking about naturally thin, I'm talking unhealthy super skinny) is best. It's women who fall prey to that type of marketing.
There is just so much pressure. Not from men.
I don't buy it. Scroll through the Men's Health "Hottest Women of 2011" results and let me know when you get to one above a size 6... It's true that when shown a naked chick who is a size 14-18, yes, all men will jump in about how they find her plenty attractive, or even more attractive than the skinny girl with no face. But in the grand scheme of things, the vast majority would choose the one who is a size 4-6, because they're biologically programmed for that ideal hip-to-waist ratio.

Who are the majority of fashion designers, who choose the models for their clothes? Men. (Gay men--who, incidentally, often prefer a more androgynous body shape. This past season on project runway, there was a challenge to design for real women, and one of the men didn't even know what DD meant, and after he was informed he was completely flustered at the impossibility of sewing such a curvy garment.) Who are the majority of digital visual designers, who use photoshop to make that model a little skinnier, sometimes without realizing they've made a farcical picture of a human? Men.

Women don't pressure themselves to be the skinny chick--they hate the skinny chick. Believe me, I know. I can't tell you how many times I've been told to my face by other women, "Ugh, you're so thin!" with complete disgust. On the one hand, yes, they're covering up for their own dislike of their own body, but on the other hand what they really want is not to be magically skinny, because then on some level they know they'd be hated like I am. What they really want is for me to gain weight and be like them. Misery loves company.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote