View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #148
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Prey tell, how does the consumer take responsibility for the quality of milk they purchase ? Purchase it from a farmer whose operation you can inspect and take your chances.

The farmer in Pennsylvania that produced this batch of tainted raw milk was devastated,
wrote a letter of apology to his customers, and offered a refund on the milk they had purchased.
Maybe this farmer took responsibility, and may end up losing his business. His choice which he has paid for.

..Still 40+ other people became ill in PA and surrounding states in the first round of infections.
Camplylobacter is infectious (diarrhea) so there well could be a others.
Do you propose those all those primary and secondary infections also take responsibility onto themselves ? The primary infections already have. Any secondary infections would only be the result of failure to take universal precautions.

I have absolutely no issue with you (or anyone) disagreeing with me on self-responsibility for themself (only). So you agree that raw milk should be available to those of us who prefer it?
I do have issue with it when it can not extend far enough to protect others. ... or not.
Massive outbreak of antimicrobial-resistant salmonellosis traced to pasteurized milk.
Ryan CA, Nickels MK, Hargrett-Bean NT, Potter ME, Endo T, Mayer L, Langkop CW, Gibson C, McDonald RC, Kenney RT, et al.
Source

Division of Bacterial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta, GA 30333.
Abstract

Two waves of antimicrobial-resistant Salmonella typhimurium infections in Illinois totaling over 16 000 culture-confirmed cases were traced to two brands of pasteurized 2% milk produced by a single dairy plant. Salmonellosis was associated with taking antimicrobials before onset of illness. Two surveys to determine the number of persons who were actually affected yielded estimates of 168 791 and 197 581 persons, making this the largest outbreak of salmonellosis ever identified in the United States. The epidemic strain was easily identified because it had a rare antimicrobial resistance pattern and a highly unusual plasmid profile; study of stored isolates showed it had caused clusters of salmonellosis during the previous ten months that may have been related to the same plant, suggesting that the strain had persisted in the plant and repeatedly contaminated milk after pasteurization.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Maybe we should just ban pasteurized milk as well?
I understand your concern, but you are attacking people's life choices. Some of us are not excited by the idea of a supposedly risk free world bought by a simple exchange of personal liberty/choice. To me, it is very much the same as the War on Terror, there is always a cost for a nominal increase in safety. In this case, we create a (n awful tasting) biological blank slate which, given opportunity, salmonella easily inhabits. This kind of stuff is why rural America votes Republican, despite Democratic protestations that it is against their interests. The left does not understand what other people value or simply dismiss those values as not rational.