Thread: Stern Warning
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 04:33 PM   #6
Kitsune
still eats dirt

i've thought about getting a kayak for flounder fishing here in galveston bay. i saw a couple of guys doing it on my last outing and that looked like the inexpensive good way to go. do you do any fishing out of it or just have it for exercise/cruising around?

I just use it for exploring -- I've never been much of a fisherman. I've heard that most people who fish in a kayak use open-top ones because they are easy to stand up in and handle your fishing pole, etc. I've never been in one of those, before.

You don't have a skirt for it to keep out water? I suppose its pretty big to try and roll it when you are still in it anyway huh.

This kayak did come with a spray skirt, I just didn't use it while out that day as the water was very calm. I didn't expect to take on water until my own clumsiness did me in. I'm a bit fearful of rolling this boat and, while I'm sure I could get out, I don't think I would be able to get back in so easily without assistance. I might get brave, someday, and practice.

Nothing like kayaking for becoming one with the boat.

You're not kidding -- I've been out in a number of larger, motorized boats and I never felt as connected to the as I have to a kayak or a sailboat. I got a folder, so you feel even closer to the ocean than in a hard kayak -- the waves cause the frame to flex gently and you can feel currents through the skin. At first, that was really creepy and it took quite a bit of getting used to.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote