View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #126
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

And satan infiltrated academia a long time ago. Mean old satan.

Quote:
But The Tampa Bay Tribune's PolitiFact news service is reporting that Santorum -- since 2008 -- has linked higher education to the work of Satan. In a 2008 talk at Ave Maria University, Santorum discussed the way Satan has attacked "great institutions of America."

Where did Satan start? According to Santorum, "The place where he was, in my mind, the most successful and first -- first successful was in academia. He understood pride of smart people. He attacked them at their weakest. They were in fact smarter than everybody else and could come up with something new and different -- pursue new truths, deny the existence of truth, play with it because they’re smart. And so academia a long time ago fell."

Quote:
Santorum's broadsides against higher education are producing considerable blog commentary -- and may even prompt some college presidents to speak out in ways that they normally avoid. Brian Rosenberg, the president of Macalester College, normally has a strict rule about not speaking out about politicians or policy debates, believing that the role of a president is to provide a space for all views to be heard, not to endorse a particular position or imply that a college has an official position on such issues. Rosenberg feels so strongly about this that he made it the subject of a convocation address that he adapted for an essay in 2009 for Inside Higher Ed.

But Santorum has tested Rosenberg's limits. He wrote in The Huffington Post that statements Santorum is making about higher ed are so wrong that it's appropriate for a college president to condemn them. "It is not much of a stretch, I would submit, to see the claims that (1) wanting to see more students attend college is bad for our country and (2) colleges are indoctrination mills, as ones with which a college president should publicly disagree, and that a presidential candidate who makes such claims is at least as much a threat to our collective mission as any law or court ruling," Rosenberg wrote. "So with all due respect to my responsibilities as a fundraiser and as a guardian of open discourse on my campus, I am prepared to make the case that stating publicly that I am appalled by the views of Rick Santorum is not only my right but my responsibility."

He added: "I am appalled by the views of Rick Santorum. Now excuse me while I go check on the water flow in the indoctrination mill on the northeast corner of the Macalester campus."
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...#ixzz1naDd1lLP

The guy is a whacked out nutjob.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote