View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #8037
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Trust but verify.

These are words. Promises. What is his credibility? What are the contingencies? What makes you thing *this time you're gonna kick that ball, Charlie Brown!"? That stuff.

I totally agree with you Clodfobble when you say having exactly half of everything is not necessary--true. Fair should be a good starting point. My Dad used to tell me a good deal is a state of mind. You can change your state of mind easily. But what you get and what you avoid can both be valuable. What can you do to minimize the chance or effectiveness of the things you want to NOT happen, like being stalked, or being pursued?

Actually, that's probably a whole question by itself, irrespective of any offer or contingency. In Washington, we have serious laws against stalking. Is there something like that where you live orthodoc? I don't believe there are any laws against being shitty or being mean or being unfair or being an asshole. **sigh** I don't really wish there were, just... sometimes. Anyhow.

I'd get someone else to look over the offer, the WRITTEN offer, BEFORE you sign anything. Please don't sign anything until you've had someone else, like a lawyer, read it and explain it. Not just for a reality check, but for a booby trap check, or an unenforceable promise check, or other shit. Like the "shared debts" booby trap. Don't sign that one. Divide the debts. This one is MINE that one is YOURS, no joint anything and get that shit in writing. I'm not kidding about getting it in writing. The debt collectors will want their money and not care fuck all about whose wallet it's coming from.

Hang in there. Get someone to read the offer. Keep your cool. Stay in touch.