View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #8288
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

What's making me happy is that Carrot no longer has to be shut in his crate at night!

Took the plunge night before last and let him have the whole of downstairs (it' such a small space anyway not like he had oceans to rattle about it!).

It was time. The last week or so every now and again at night he'd attempt to settle on a cushion outside the crate (pen) and I'd have to scurry him in instead.

I'd already decided in the day that's what I'd do, and had been about the place to make sure nothing to dangerous was left about for him to chew. Turned off all electrical outlets at the plug etc. Come nighttime, I said to him 'ok, Carrot, time for bed' as normal and he slunk off to his crate. I called him back out and told him to get on the couch. As he lay down on the couch I said 'there you go. bed time, night night' so he knew this was his new bedtime routine. Oh he was soooo pleased. Kicked his little legs back behind him and snuggled right into the cushions.

letf him there and closed the door to the stairs so he couldnt follow me up. Woke up late the next morning and he was fine. He'd done nothing untoward, no mad chewing that I could see. He'd obviously been awake for some time before me as the recylcing van had been and crashing bottles would have woken him up no doubt.

Last night again he was fine. Came down this morning to find him sat in the middle of the living room waiting for me (he'd have heard me moving ariound upstairs).

Really pleased. Been wanting to do this for a while. nearly did about a month ago, but held off as he was mad teething. But I am convinced thathe hasnt been sleeping well in the crate. Hot stuff nights despite the daytime rain. Room in the crate to move about and lie down, but not to change sleepng spot if it gets too hot. He'd been really tired a few mornings in a row. Now he's all full of bounce and happiness :0
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote