View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

So the weekend was great. GREAT! The accommodations were a little more rustic than I expected - the shower was 'broken', no running water, tent in the backcountry. That was cool, I just thought there'd be a bit more 'campsite' to it. The staff asked right away if we had food in our luggage because, if so, please keep it in the car. The place is full of ... bears. Bears, omg! (I've had a phobia of bears for years.)

Now, why I didn't clue in to the fact that in the Colorado backcountry there might be bears, especially in a place called Bear Basin Ranch, I do not know. D-uhhhhh. My daughter laughed her head off, because apparently while I was standing there thinking: no problem, the bears won't come, and if they do I'll kill them before they get near my daughter! - my face looked like I was screaming inside. Gotta work on that!

Anyway - I'll post pics, if I can figure out how, when I get home tonight. Proof! I have herded and 'cut' cattle on horseback. Hooray!

A little less 'hooray' is how things went with my tests yesterday. That big bus I felt coming last week? It gave me a pretty good hit. I do not have a cyst. I have a solid, irregular mass with microcalcifications, which is mammogram-speak for cancer. The ultrasound was no better. They took an U/S-guided biopsy immediately and are expediting the pathology so I can see the surgeon Friday and hopefully the oncologist Monday. They're pretty efficient; the nurse hinted that I might get my surgery next Thursday. All pending the path report, but no one seemed to doubt what was going on.

So ... damn.

I did buy a baseball cap with a grizzly on it, at the ranch. A sort of 'face your fears' thing; rather than wear a cap with nice horses on it, I thought I'd wear the thing I was afraid of. So maybe I'll just wear this cap if/when I'm having chemo.