View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
anonymous
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Her counsellor says it's up to her to be in charge of herself at times like that and that it's not my fault, even if I do feel that I was supposed to be watching her. ....
And that's exactly right. You can lead a horse to water so to speak. There is only ONE person that can help and that is themselves. Sure, the state can make you go to AA or family can put you in rehab but all that does is cause rebelliousness and animosity. It absolutely will not work unless that person has made the conscious, determined decision to quit. Quitting is easy. I've done it a thousand times. It's staying on track that's the hard part.

Another thing that gets me, and I'm guilty of it too, is listening to an alcoholic or user say "the next time I drink/use I'm going to do it different." Really? And just what was it you did before that was different from now? You wound up right back in the same place, the same misery, the same loneliness (insert fucked up situation here).

The way out of the above scenario is to NOT go back and try to do it differently. Don't go back at all. I/we can't. God I hope I don't.

A very dear friend of mine has over 3 years sobriety. He'd "lecture" me when i was hung over, or so I thought he was but he really wasn't. He'd tell me things that I already knew. Didn't want to hear them, but I did listen. And I watched. I watched how he was living now as opposed to before. There is a light about him. A proud, I am ME attitude about him. Healthy, vibrant, full of life etc..... I want that. I miss that. I still haven't told him about my decision. Hell I've only told I think 2 people. I don't trust myself. I am stubborn. Very stubborn as a matter of fact.

Two more weeks and I'll come clean.

day 9, in like flint.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote