View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #873
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
I graduated college almost 15 years ago. Back then I had one or two textbooks that broke the $100 mark. That's probably more common now.

Though I wouldn't think that middle/high school texts would be that expensive, even now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
The last semester I bought textbooks, all of them were well over $100. But it's true that science themed books have always been more expensive than other subjects.
In college, in 1979, I bought a text book for $62.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Frequent updating + multiple authors/editors + full colour diagrams + small print runs + you really need it = $$$$$$!!!!
And when the professor writes the book, he has a financial interest. And when the professor updates the text every year, the student cannot buy used books.

Last semester, we rented books for my daughter in college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Wait a minute. Since when do high school students need to buy textbooks?

Maybe it's still the cost of the textbook but the district is paying for the book. I sure hope so.
Yeah, I think the article was about the cost to the district.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Why wouldn't every high school freshman use the same math book? well, not the same book, but a copy of the same book, that should make them cheaper than dirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Because if you expect them to be able to do homework, they have to be able to take the books home.

My kids had their own "loaner" text, and one that stayed in the classroom. That way they didn't have to tote the heavy tomes back and forth.