View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #2407
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I started reading Shades of Grey, by Jasper Fforde.
Partly because I adore him as an author anyway, partly because it really made me laugh to myself that if anyone saw me reading it, they would assume I'd picked it up thinking it was 50 Shades of Grey. We laugh easily, myself and I.

Sadly I was reading it in the library, whilst killing time in town, and had no library card with me.
So I bought it on Mum's Kindle (so much cheaper!) which she has promptly taken away with her house-sitting.
I am on a knife edge of antici....pation.

In the mean time I am wading through Mum's extensive collection of Georgette Heyers.
They are influencing my dreams, and mildly educating me into the Regency world - she's supposed to be historically accurate at least.

Her writing about "halfwits" and "retards" is shocking to modern sensibilities (her books were written from 1921- 1974) but reflects the age she was brought up in as much as the age she was writing about. I have already identified two autistic characters, although the condition would not have been known to her by official diagnosis. Other children are described as moon-faced (Downs) or addlepated (possible ADHD or high anxiety).

It's all good old-fashioned fun though.