View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #4542
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
We had a big birthday cupcake war two years ago at our elementary school. One mom, who is a nutritionist, went on a crusade and got them banned. She felt shunned afterwards, and probably was. Most parents and teachers liked the cupcakes, but there was a new principal and he caved to her pressure pretty quickly. The whole drama was kind of amusing to me, because it really was a big deal when she got them banned. Her argument wasn't along the food allergy line or the disruption line, but an anti-sweets line. I didn't care one way or another, but people were very up in arms about it.
Admittedly, a few parents do ignore the rule, and teachers don't feel they can just send the parent away after the kids have already watched the treats walk unexpectedly in the door. Which is even worse, because it means that I have no warning to provide an alternative--last year Minifob came home one day with this new toy in his backpack, and it turned out that another parent had randomly shown up with a plate full of doughnuts, so the teacher had thought quickly and given Minifob a toy she had in her cabinet, to make up for having to just sit out and get nothing while his class ate doughnuts. She was such an awesome teacher.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote