View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #1043
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

*hugs bri* sucks, hon.

@ Sundae: oh it's shitty when you have to be the bigbad every day with meds and stuff. Good to catch these things early though!

Re: compulsory retesting for the elderly. I think 65 is way too fucking young to be mandating stuff like that. 65 year olds are statistically safer drivers than 30 year olds.

My mum had to go to hospital for some tests a couple of weeks ago. They sent her to the geriatric dept because she has passed 65 years in age. It's the first time that's ever happened to her. She sat there in the waiting room with really old and some quite distressed patients. Then she saw the consultant who said he had to ask her some questions. Did she know the name of the prime minister, when did world war two end? What is the name of our current monarch? What day is it?

She took issue with these questions. She'd gone in to get checked out for a suspected minor heart attack (she's fine, she was clear). Not because she was suspected to be suffering from dementia. The consultant told her they have to ask them, or the hospital will not be paid for her care.

She has now vowed never to go into hospital again. It freaked her out totally. My mum is not an 'old lady'. Most 65 year olds aren't. Many of them are still working. Many of them are providing fulltime care for grandchildren so parents can work. Most 65 year olds I know, male and female, don't fit my picture of 'old' at all.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote