Thread: PASS!
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #24
SamIam

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone! (and even "starring Molly" - I'm impressed ). And Sarge, those are some great suggestions! I'll definately check into them.

Right after I posted this thread, I got word that Colorado Voc Rehab wanted to give me some temp work, so naturally I jumped at the chance and haven't had the time to visit the Cellar until now when I am once again ungainfully unemployed. However, I just got a letter stating that they want to hire me back for another chunk of time - probably in October. It's a great gig, but alas, there's no funding to make it a permanent position. Still, I'm happy for whatever crumbs they want to throw my way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Um, how are you going to save $700 a month and support yourself, for two or three years, on $500 to $800 a month?
You don't want to know, Bruce. It ain't pretty. But since you asked...
The amount I get from disability is so small that I am officially way below the poverty line. Which qualifies me for rental and food assistance. My medical is also mostly covered. My wardrobe is thrift shop chic. Wyn dines on Walmart's finest kibble - "Old Yellow." Say, didn't the Old Yellow in the book die of rabies or something? Never mind. The Internet is my only extravagance. Well, and gas for my truck. Lucky for me, the mountains are only about 30 miles away, and my old Toyota still manages to get 20 miles to the gallon. And if I end up on foot toward the end of the month, no big deal. I can walk to most anywhere in this small town and I have kind friends who give me the occasional ride when I need it.

I suppose I could live this way indefinately, but I HATE, HATE, HATE not being self sufficient. It takes away your dignity and sense of self worth so easily if you let it. I still haven't heard back from the Feds on my PASS, but me and my friend Jim (also disabled) have come up with a great Plan B and if I have to stay up all night for a month and fill out a thousand page application, I'll do it. And if they don't like that, I'll come up with a Plan C, etc. Eventually, the PASS co-ordinator up in Denver will become so tired of reading my new and ever more amazing applications that she'll give in and approve one of them. How will I do it? In one word - becaused I'm cussed.

And when I get my campground host job, all Cellar folk can come stay for free in some of the most beautiful places on earth. It'll be all on me, so everyone start getting your camping gear together now!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote