View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #71
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have used a rotary dial phone to contact a mainframe computer. Once it started that warbling noise which you young whippersnappers think is the noise a fax machine makes, I had to then stick the handset into an acoustic coupler modem and hope that I did it fast enough for the handshaking to complete properly. It transmitted data at the blazingly fast speed of 300 baud.

I have used punchcards.

And paper tape.

And reel to reel, both for computers and for audio.

I owned (may still, haven't looked in all of the moving tubs, I don't remember if I kept it or not through the last couple moves) a Super-8 camera and projector.

I used to own a picture of John F. Kennedy printed on greenbar by an old-school impact printer. That I think either my dad ended up with in the divorce, or my mom threw out. But it hung in the front room in my childhood home in a place of honor.

I remember when transistor radios were the height of cool, and only came in AM. I had the ultra-cool Panasonic Toot-a-Loop radio, which could be worn as a really large bracelet.

I mourn the loss of the Bic Banana Pen. Which had a really annoying jingle.

There are, of course, a lot more, but those were the ones that kind of came to me.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote