View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #53
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post

Thanks for the offer on the Accord. It looks very nice. I wish you were local. I'd probably buy it from you. But I can't invest 4-5 hours of driving to get a car I haven't even test driven or had my mechanic check out. I'd be locked in after making that trip. But the math is interesting. Are you giving me the Cellar discount, or would you give that price to a tough negotiator?

NADA retail value (whatever that is) is $10,250
You have it listed for $9995
You are willing to let it go for $8377
It cost you $7377

Are those ratios pretty typical? I'm not even looking at the cars listed for $10k since they are more than I want to spend. Maybe I should be aiming higher in the hopes I can negotiate.
i think we traded it for 6500 and did 877 in various recon. no, $1000 over cost on a used is a low margin. most places wont let it go that cheap unless it's some kind of white elephant. i was just trying to give you an idea of what that money buys. if you can find this same car for this same money near you, you're doing well. when a family member or friend buys a used car here, it's usually $1500 over on a retail type car. $500 over on a wholesale car. this one is kind of a tweener. it should have sold by now. I guess it's at the high end of most cash buyer's budgets.

NADA is the pricing guide the banks use to set values to base their loans on. some dealers use it to place values on cars they trade, too.