View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
With the dishwasher, the racks are shot (we're on our second round of racks)
Well, clearly you already know the drill here.

Quote:
the spinner water jet thingy whose name I don't recall is all chalky.
My internal spinner/washer plumbing crapola was also in need of cleaning. It is possible, it's kind of tedious. In my case, it wasn't hard water deposits that were clogging it up, but food schmutz and broken glass. Same effect though and cleaning them made a big difference. Cost, zero.

Quote:
Replacing all the needed interior giblets will cost about 50% of the price of a new machine.
Racks probably have to be replaced, I don't know how I'd "fix" them. The washing/spinner giblets are possibly cleanable, so you could realize some savings there, but you pay in labor and language. Getting in there to remove is possible, or if not getting in there to do the actual cleaning/coring/scraping/rinsing... like I said, tedious plus contortion grief.

Quote:

The range and the gas dryer both need new igniter dinguses,
Igniters are actually pretty easy. I've been inside both appliances and have replaced the igniter on my dryer. It's one of those that glows almost white hot before the gasflow starts. It is similar to the one in my furnace pics (poor pics, so sorry. I can reproduce them with greater attention to the photo quality if you like). My oven igniter style is not known--could be piezeoelectric/sparking kind, could be glowplug kind. Not a pilot light though.

As a matter of fact, there's a pic of the gas dryer apparatus around here somewhere already. I'll go find it.

Quote:
and the washing machine has either a bearing problem or a cracked spider.

DIY--snip
This is trouble--certainly beyond my firsthand experience. I'd probably wind up driving it completely into the ground while I saved for a new-to-me unit.