View Single Post
Old 03-03-2004, 11:47 PM   #11
Shattered Soul
Shuttered and locked

Quote:
Originally posted by Clodfobble
I've been lurking for more than a year here, but I guess this proves I have a really hard time letting inaccurate information go by...

Now, personally, I think marriage is just as much a secular institution as a religious one and therefore anyone who wants to marry anyone else is fine in my book.

But almost all of those references (with the exceptions of some in the fourth and fifth items) are from the Old Testament, which is *not* the same as the Bible as a whole. The New Testament spends a great deal of time directly countermanding the Old Testament, but the Old Testament is still part of the Bible because you can't say "make it x plus 2" unless you know what x was to begin with. Christians by definition believe in the New Testament.

Incidentally, the first five books of the Bible (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy), where a lot of those references come from, are also sometimes called another document--the Torah. Obviously orthodox Jews aren't trying to make constitutional amendments as such, but my point is Christians don't actually believe in many of those passages, as they are specifically disregarded in later books.

So was that worth registering for, or should I have kept quiet for another few years?

Oh, pitch in, by all means!

I'm a pagan, so all that christian stuff doesn't apply to me