View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
SamIam

My friend is turning into a major moocher

I have a friend that I'll call "Charlie" to protect the guilty. I've known him for over 3 years and he's been a good friend up until about a couple of months ago.

Charlie is on disability too, and his check is 3 times what mine is. Despite this, Charlie is forever broke and doesn't have money for gas for his car or even food or to pay his utilities, etc.. This is because Charlie is on the medical marijuana program and every penny he gets goes for dope. He once confessed to me that his pot bill is $500/month, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was really more like $600 - $700.

I don't really care how much pot he smokes. It's his life and the amount of marijuana he decides to use is none of my business.

EXCEPT

He continues to up the amount he smokes while his income remains the same. He has started to borrow money from me and "forget" to pay it back. In the past, he'd always repay any loans I gave him, but no more. And on my income I can't afford to just give away $20 here or $40 there.

That's been bad enough, but this Thanksgiving has been the last straw. Since neither of us have family close by, Charlie and I decided to do the meal together and invite this elderly guy we both know who is having health difficulties and whose only family is a daughter who lives in California. And that we'd split the cost of the meal 50/50 with the old guy as our guest.

I paid for a spiral cut ham which was expensive even though it was on sale. Charlie was supposed to pay an amount equivalent to the cost of the ham by picking up some food for the usual Thanksgiving side dishes.

EXCEPT

I learned tonight that he hadn't purchased a single thing because he was already $200 into his over draft protection for his checking account and he had to go pick up some more pot at the dispensary on top of that.

So I had to run out tonight and purchase stuff like cranberry sauce, dinner rolls, etc. In effect, I have paid the entire cost for the meal, and I don't know how I'll make it to the end of the month.

I hate to lose a friendship over money, but Charlie and his pot habit have become too high maintenance for the likes of me.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote