View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #30
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
Stop! I live in the American Southwest, and fracking also allows access to oil that is in shale - it's not just natural gas (although there is a lot of that gas, as well, and natural gas burns VERY clean).

Your "burning water" was investigated (that was in Pennsylvania, btw), and found to be a contamination by above ground mishandling and contamination -- had NOTHING to do with fracking. You can't contaminate with fracking because they're working FAR deeper than ground water, UNLESS your well casings and pipes BOTH crack and leak, AND are passing through an area with groundwater.

The gov't has checked this out, (they wanted to stop it), and found that they could not, because there was NO evidence it contaminated ANYTHING. I will add that there is of course, SOME risk in doing ANYTHING - in the environment, or just crossing the street.
Yup. I agree with all three points.

Apparently, the makers of "Gasland" actually knew the entire 'setting tap water on fire from fracking' thing was bullshit but they decided to go through with it anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
OF COURSE the answer should be the Environmental Protection Agency, or the Department of Energy, or some combination of both. To rely on "self regulation" will never work, and would indeed be illegal.
Also agree.