View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #49
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Okay, getting close to the Main Event.

Totality was due at 6.37 am.

It was obviously necessary to pull an all nighter. I had strategic naps the day before, then at 11pm had an energy drink, then around midnight started a carefully planned session of recreational pharmaceuticals. I had some and some and then some and even some , spread out over six hours, so that by dawn, my altitude was at a personal best and may have given Felix Baumgartener a run for his money. PM if you want full details..

So, I dressed warm - temp in the mid teens, I think, but it gets COLD during an eclipse - and went down by the lake side. I found a nice little spot about ten feet back from the shore, with the sky brightening in the east across the lake, and set up.

I had my camera on a tripod about four feet to my left, set to take a picture on automatic every 30 seconds.

Dawn twilight:

Name:  Dawn Twilight.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  64.5 KB

First peep of sunrise:

Name:  Sunrise.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  53.0 KB

The eclipse was already underway by this time, with the moon moving from the top left part of the sun, as shown in this excellent shot by Ben Cooper:

Name:  progress.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  23.0 KB

Soon the sun was little more than a crescent, but alas my little camera wasn't really up to the job:

Name:  Eclipse 01.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  50.6 KB

Last edited by ZenGum; 12-04-2012 at 11:46 PM.
ZenGum is offline   Reply With Quote