View Single Post
Old 03-06-2004, 01:48 AM   #7
Wonderbat
Topo Chico

Billy, sometimes it seems (to me) that people in other countries believe that Americans tolerate homosexuality more than we actually do. I'm not trying to say that YOU specifically make me think that... but America definitely has people on both sides of the issue.

Then again, with some of the things that the current government says, maybe people in other countries don't think we're so... accepting... anymore.

At any rate, I'd like everyone's opinion on this idea (which I've gotta credit to a friend of mine)... I apologize if it was already brought up in the other gay marriage thread...

What if the government did NOTHING but civil unions... whether for gay or straight people? And MARRIAGE was purely something done by the church?

Then, for all government matters, everyone would be equal. (It should therefore become illegal to discriminate against married gays, because that would be a religion-related status.) Gays could still marry, provided they went to a church which would marry them (and these already exist... Unitarian, etc.).

In other words, separation of marriage and state. Opinions?
Wonderbat is offline   Reply With Quote