View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #291
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I used to make dairy-free mashed potatoes using water and rice milk ... had to up the garlic and seasoning a bit. I used a vegan margarine at the time. They didn't have that fatty mouth-feel, but they were tasty and went well with sauteed mushrooms etc.

My kids are doing the Christmas menu next week and have decided on ham, scalloped potatoes, green beans, devilled eggs, broccoli with cheese sauce, and peppermint cheesecake and creme de menthe bars for dessert. I have a feeling I won't be able to eat any of it, lol ... I have no idea what the Christmas Eve menu will be but can't really care this morning ... thinking about food too much right now is not helping my side effects.

Anyway - I thought it rather funny that they decided a turkey with stuffing was too risky and too much work - after insisting on that for every holiday meal for years! Ditto the duck and goose. However, I do appreciate them choosing something they feel comfortable doing. It'll be interesting to watch them smash up all the required peppermint candy for the cheesecake!