View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #314
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Now let me say there are a few very SIMPLE things that I really enjoy!

- Making keys. Goddamn, I love making keys. You go away from the ghetto world for a moment, and use a loud machine to mill a replica key for somebody. The machine drowns out everything for a while. And everybody is happy when they get a new key. Sometimes I get to ask whether they want a gold or a silver key for the new one. It's such a tiny little thing, and yet so important. I take a weird pride in the keys that I make. $2 each.

- Running money orders. It's the simplest thing in the world! Enter password. Enter amount of money order. Press print. Wait for printout. Tear off money order. Separate store copy from customer copy. It's mindless, and yet I know that these folks are paying their bills and doing their business, and I'm a little cog in the machine.

- Tilling money. Now I must sound addled, but I totally enjoy the process of putting in bills and making change. As long as you have to do it 50 times a day, why not refine that skill? And so I've recently taken to pinching the bills in a certain way, where I can pinch out 3 or 4 bills or whatever number is needed.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote